Child actress Jones of Family Affair / SAT 12-3-16 / Noted Volstead Act enforcer / Giverny backdrop for Monet / Bill of 1960s-70s Weather Underground / Refined nutritional ingredient in many cereals meat products / Start of news story in journalism lingo
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Constructor: Jason Flinn
Relative difficulty: Easiest
Word of the Day: RAE Sremmurd, hip-hop duo with the 2016 #1 hit "Black Beatles" (38A) —
Rae Sremmurd (pronunciation: / /) is an American hip hop duo consisting of brothers Khalif "Swae Lee" Brown (born June 7, 1995) and Aaquil "Slim Jxmmi" Brown (born December 29, 1993) from Tupelo, Mississippi. The duo are best known for their platinum singles "No Flex Zone" and "No Type", which peaked at numbers 36 and 16 on the US Billboard Hot 100, respectively. They are based in Atlanta, Georgia. Their debut album SremmLife was released on January 6, 2015. The name "Rae Sremmurd" is derived from the duo's home label, EarDrummers, by spelling each word backwards. Their second album SremmLife 2 was released in 2016 to positive reviews, featuring the singles "Look Alive" and "Black Beatles", the latter of which topped the Billboard Hot 100, giving the duo (and Gucci Mane) their first number one. (wikipedia)
• • •
Here are the only things I remember even having to think about during this solve:
- 18A: Something a server can give you (INTERNET ADDRESS) — so excited for how obvious this was that I just wrote in quickly: INTERNET ACCESSS, three "S"s and all.
- 21A: Swiss chocolate brand (LINDT) — only now, looking at the clue calmly, do I realize that it *doesn't* say "Swiss HOT chocolate brand..." My brain froze on "Swiss Miss" and even the LIN- wasn't helping (if I'd read the clue right, there would've been no hesitation).
- 32A: Old-fashioned (MOLDY) — M--DY and only "MOODY" was occurring to me. Sometimes your brain just locks up, what can I say?
- 36D: Orthodox group (HASIDIM) — Here, I knew the answer quickly, but the spelling of the proper answer, yipes. I probably spent more time rewriting this answer than I spent on any other single answer. HASSIDS was my opener. Then HASIDIC.
- 41D: Child actress Jones of "Family Affair" (ANISSA) — who? seriously, who? Got her (her?) entirely from crosses.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]